The 5 Best Engineering Kids Activities For Christmas 2017
Christmas is coming and we are getting EXCITED! So are the kids…right?
It can be a bit challenging to keep them engaged and persuaded as youthful scientists during this festive season. However, there are some astounding, engaging engineering activities that can accentuate their joy.
Here are some mind-blowing science, tech, math and engineering activities to keep the young ones occupied in STEM and STEAM.
From paper circuits, motors to building switches; these engineering activities are an awesome way to educate and entertain them.
You will be filled with pride seeing them make light up cards, build toys from scratch and buzz up your life. I mean literally…
LED Mask: Simple circuits
Your kid will be excited to make this super hero LED mask. It’s very simple and easy to follow. All you need to do is wear your thinking hat and let the creative juices flow!
- Template of the mask (Available on www.wizkidsclub.com/shop)
- One LED bulb
- One coin cell battery
- Elastic band
- Colors and markers
- Tape and scissors
1) Cut out the mask template and design it. We made a wonder woman mask. Draw stars and color the stars yellow and red if you want to make the wonder woman mask.
2) Now take coin cell battery and LED. When the positive lead of the LED touches the positive lend of the coin battery, it glows. The circuit is complete and the LED lights up.
3) Now secure the connection with tape.
4) Then take the LED and stick it to the back of the mask using tape.
5) Finally attach an elastic band on both ends of the mask and your wonder women mask is ready!
Enjoy your Christmas with wonder woman mask and surprise friends and family. Check out the video here:
Christmas Ornaments: Simple circuits
Some simple but entertaining ways to amaze your kids: LED Christmas ornaments. How about color and LIGHT IT UP? Sounds fun… eh? This engineering design is going to be epic.
Here some items that you are required for this ornament.
– Cut out of the Rudolph and Santa template. Available at www.wizkidsclub.com/shop
– 2 LED blubs
– 2 Coin cell batteries.
– Colors and markers
– Tape and scissors.
- Cut out the mask templates. I have Santa and Rudolph from the wizkidsclub STEAM KITs.
- Color and design it.
- I made 2 holes for the LED to go in. Now take the LED and coin battery. When the long leg, which is the positive lead of the LED, touches the positive side of the battery. IT GLOWS!!!
- The circuit is complete. Secure the connection with tape.
- Now take the LED and poke it in.
- Tape the glowing LED on to the ornament
- It’s time for the big reveal! Your GOWING CHRISTMAS ornaments are ready! Have fun and charm your family and friends
Light Up Card: Paper Circuits
Would not it be amazing if you can make a card that has light in it and you can turn it on and off with a tap of your finger? Best part is, you can make it at home!
You just need few things and follow my lead.
What you will need:
– Print out of the circuit card template. Available of www.wizkidsclub.com
– 1 LED
– 1 COIN BATTERY
– COPPER TAPE
– NORMAL TAPE
– Stickers …which are optional.
– Sketch pens or markers
Materials are available on wizkidsclub.com or you could buy the kit now!
- Cut out the card template.
- Peel the copper tape and carefully stick it on the brown thick lines.
- Completely stick the copper tape on the brown lines as shown. Press down the copper tape to make it smooth.
- Take the LED and poke it through the paper. Gently bend the legs and place them where indicated. Use copper tape to secure the connection.
- Fold the card. Now take the coin cell battery. The positive end of battery should face up. Use tape to stick the battery on the card. Ensure the area where the copper tape touches the battery is clear.
- When you fold the card, the circuit is complete and the LED lights up.
- Have fun putting your stickers. I choose a funny robot with light.
- Stick the “PRESS HERE” sticker in the right place.
- Use any colour of your choice to make it super attractive and fun!
Your glowing card is ready and here is you go with another engineering activity.
LED HOUSE: Simple Circuits
If you want to build a house with led in it then you are going to be able to do this after this complete guided article. First of all these below mentioned items should be acquired to build your Led house.
- One 3v coin lithium cell
- One LED bulb
- First thing first, take a print out of the house template on a paper. Available on www.wizkidsclub.com
- Now build the circuit by attaching the cell to the Led and if it starts glowing, your circuit is complete. Secure the connection with tape so that LED keep on glowing.
3) Color the printed model of the house according to your desired color scheme. Make it awesome looking. Then use scissors to cut out the house.
4) Now fold the sides along the dotted lines. Use glue to attach the sides and be sure that the bottom should be left open as you are going to insert Led from the bottom.
5) Finally attach the Glowing LED at the bottom with the help of the tape. Fold the bottom flap and apply glue. Hurrah! Your LED house is ready.
DANCE PAD: Buzzer/Light up Circuit
Making a dance pad at your own house is not a rocket science and it’s one of the best engineering activity that you can do this Christmas. Dance and Dance and Dance away with every Christmas Carol.
A list of items is given below:
- 1 card board
- Aluminum foil
- 9 volt battery
- Toilet roll
- Light bulb or buzzer
- Alligator clip
- Hot glue gun
- Shinny paper
- Fold the cardboard in such a way so that one part is larger than that of other part.
- Stick the aluminum foil to the larger part or jutting out part of the card.
- Attach shining paper to the extra part of the card.
- Take a toilet paper roll and cover it up with a aluminum paper and stick it to the inner flap of the cardboard as shown in the figure.
- Tape the battery on the shiny paper
- Connect one of the battery wires to the light bulb or buzzer (If you want a musical dance pad)
- Connect one end of the alligator clip to the battery and the other end to the aluminum strip on the cardboard.
- Take the other alligator clip and connect it to the light bulb or buzzer.
- Connect the other end to the toilet roll.
- When the top flap is pressed down, the circuit is complete. The bulb lights up or the buzzer sounds.
- Decorate the dance pad and tap away to glory.